Monday 25 February 2013

A dubious look at the Americanisation of football

Or, more importantly, the seeming need to play music any time there's a small gap in play.


Now, I know this splits opinion for two reasons. One; I've already had this debate countless times with friends and two; whenever music is played most people just seem to get on with it, singing along to whatever song Simon Cowell or Louis Walsh have decided we're listening to this week. Now, call me old-fashioned (I was 27 the last time I checked), but when I go to a football match I'd much rather the atmosphere generated by loyal fans full of a "joy-de-vivre" than the generic soulless pop music that seems standard fare at sporting occasions these days. Ok, so at the Liberty we (or at least some of us) are spoiled by getting a cheeky bit of AC/DC just before kickoff, however it isn't really at this juncture I have a problem with it. A couple of choice tunes prior to kick off can go a long way in bringing fans together who, up until that point, had possibly been struggling to get "into the mood" for a singsong. 

Looking back, all of my fondest memories of the Swans from my formative years are heavily tied to the atmosphere and sense of camaraderie generated by fans coming together, and it would be a real shame if, through the continued "modernisation of football" it gets to the point where football is a one way experience, with the role of the fan morphing from supporter to spectator. Thinking back, it seems it's long been a tradition to play a song when a team scores, however given the recent improvement in audio quality in stadiums, and other factors such as the impact of all-seater stadia on atmosphere and over-zealous stewards, the audio blaring through the pa system is now approaching a point whereby it is in danger of completely replacing the role of the fan - players will celebrate the goals, and fans will do too, but the familiar roar of the crowd will become a thing of the past. Much has been said about the prawn sandwich brigade, but this is different. The average fan could be in danger of being subdued simply because the pa system has a much bigger, much louder voice than they do.

I first realised I had a bit of a problem with this a number of years ago, however my experience at Wembley made me realise how strongly I feel about it. Watching Garry Monk and Ashley Williams lift the trophy, I could hardly detect any discernible increase in volume due to the absolute din being created by some pop song that was playing. I appreciate that sponsorship could be another reason certain songs are played at certain times, but when I watch my team's captain lift a trophy, I want to hear the crowd roar, not the same song that's been on the radio all week. The Black Eyed Peas couldn't care less about Swansea City, so why on earth would any Swansea City fan wish to share a once-in-a-lifetime moment with them?

Maybe I'm on my own here, and maybe everyone else thinks Lady Gaga et al are improvements to the match-day experience, but for me, when my team scores a goal, and most definitely when my team lift their first major trophy, I think the only sound should be the one generated by passionate fans, vocalising their delight on one of the happiest days of their lives.