Friday 14 March 2014

Monk: "Swansea job mine to lose"

Swansea boss nonplussed by Koeman's agent stirring things up


In the past few days we've seen Ronald Koeman's agent publicly stating that he'd be interested in the Swansea job, should it be available in the summer, and it'd be understandable if Garry Monk felt some pressure given a lack of clarification as to his role beyond the end of the season. That's not to say the club aren't within their own rights by not commenting - I think given we could still be pulled into the relegation quagmire it is only prudent they keep their options open, however the boiler-room atmosphere that pervades all Premier League clubs does sometimes lead managers to say things they later regret. 

Tim Sherwood, for example, may already regret comments where he stated "the silence from the board is deafening" regarding recent rumours of a new Spurs boss (Van Gaal), and there've been many cases where a manager loses his cool with journalists prying for a tasy soundbite. Not Garry Monk though. When asked about the Koeman talk, Monk's response was, in my eyes, almost perfect. 

"I don’t care. It doesn’t affect me. What can I do about it? Nothing. You can say it is disrespectful but he probably does not know me from Adam, so he is not concerned about my feelings and I am not concerned about his feelings. This is the agents’ job these days. They are all over football and there will be agents pushing managers and agents of agents pushing different managers. 
“That’s the way it is. If they are thinking there is half-a-chance for them at the end of the season at any club they are going to try and push agents or their managers into doing it. I have to just get on with the job and do it properly. Whatever happens, I want to hold my head high that I have done the job properly and done all I can to take the club forward. That is all I can worry about. 
“The world we live in football is very media-driven. It’s big news. When a manager generally leaves, you’ll get 10-15 managers linked to that job. If I’m going to be here beyond this season, I guess with that not clarified you will always have managers thinking they’ll put their name in the hat to see if it will turn a head. But the way I look at it it’s my job to lose. 
“I assume I am in charge until the end of the season, but we have not had a conversation about the future at all. We talk about the day to day stuff, his thoughts on the games and other things that are going on but, honestly, hand on heart, I have not spoken to him about the future and managing this club. 
“He has told me he is pleased and performance levels have been good, but I am under no illusions that this is crunch time. We can talk about performance levels but you have to have points to show for it. I know I will be judged on the games coming up. That is what I have to do, get as many points as possible, get us safe as quickly as possible and hopefully kick on from there. 
"I've had no deep talks with the chairman, no chats beyond this season. Of course, I want the job - I've been doing my  badges and my connection with this club means I want to manage this club. Whether you get this job six, seven or eight years down the line or now I want to make sure I’m ready for the opportunity. "I think I am but you’re going to be judged by what happens on the football field." Garry Monk
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ronald-koeman-links-disrespectful-insists-6823567?

Some would say that there isn't anything Monk can do about the Koeman talk, but if we continue performing like we have so far in his short time in charge I'd say any talk of prospective managers will quickly fade away. The bird in hand is better than two in the bush and all that - especially if he's producing performances like those we've seen of late! One thing to consider is that according to Koeman's agent he sent an email to Huw & Leigh Dineen, and as yet hasn't had a response. For me while that isn't a public backing of Monk by the Swansea board, it might as well have been.

Monk also commented that Huw Jenkins is "in watching training every day" - I've commented recently that perhaps a sporting/technical/football director would help take some of the strain off Huw, as it can't be easy essentially filling two roles - at most clubs the chairman certainly won't be involved in footballing matters anywhere near as much as Huw is and I do wonder if there's a way of changing it behind the scenes slightly so he's got more time to concentrate on whatever it is he feels he's best at. Maybe I'm just talking nonsense though.

I do feel that since being appointed Monk has shown more poise and composure in his interviews than I'd expected. As captain of the side from the lower divisions through to the Premiership I think he was very much "one of the boys", if not the leader, and a glance at the photos on his Twitter account would further encourage a reputation as a jack the lad type, but every time I've seen him speak he's been confident, assured, and he's made complete sense. 

Even when given tricky questions in the aftermath of adrenaline-fueled games his answers have smacked of honesty, integrity and humility and I think these are the types of characteristics a great football manager should have. I have been so, so impressed by Monk's start to management and I've every confidence he'll be able to produce more than enough results between now and the end of the season to keep us up. First up after our little two-week footballing half-term is West Brom, and it's a really, really good opportunity to put points on the board.

No doubt Garry Monk will feel for Pepe Mel should a Swansea win cost the Spaniard his job, but in terms of improving Monk's chances of landing the job permanently it's massive. He's said he feels the job's his to lose, and I think most would certainly agree with him. Win against West Brom, and he won't be losing it any time soon.